Using a quality cutting board can save you from a variety of potential dangers in the kitchen. Slipping and sliding is not only hazardous to staff but poses sanitation issues that can lead to food borne illness, unhappy customers, and profit loss.
We talked to commercial kitchen expert, Peter O'Connor, about kitchen safety and cutting boards. Read below to learn what he thinks are must-have features for quality cutting boards, and then take the survey for a chance to win a 6-Board System for your own kitchen!
When selecting a cutting board, there a few questions you should ask yourself:
- Will the cutting board stay in place without having to use the unsanitary wet towel method?
- Will the material prevent grooves without causing damage to your knives?
- Is it dishwasher safe?
- Can it be stored in a way that minimizes contact with hands and kitchen items?
Meet the Saf-T-Grip
My favorite features include:
- Non-slip with the grips - Eliminates the need for a towel, thus saving on linen costs. Makes for a safer cutting surface to prevent sliding.
- Elevated surface - Allows the operator to flip the board over and use the clean side that has not been in direct contact with the counter top.
- Durable material - Will not become grooved after prolonged use yet is safe on knives.
- Hook - Makes storing easy and eliminates contact with hands and kitchen items.
- Dishwasher safe - Makes cleaning and sanitizing easy.
- Integrated ruler and available in HACCP color-coding - Prevents cross-contamination and makes portioning simple and efficient.