It seems like everything is pumpkin-flavored this time of year; pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin chips, pumpkin salsa - the list goes on and on. We decided to create a not-so-basic Pumpkin Spice Cookie recipe that is surprisingly free of dairy, nuts, soy and gluten (optional) but you would never know by its slightly crunchy outside and soft and chewy inside complete with a hint of cinnamon, spices and of course, pumpkin. Serve with a cup of tea or side of vanilla ice cream for a truly decadent dessert.
Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice
October is National Cookie Month so what better way to celebrate than with a seasonal cookie! Scroll below for the full recipe.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or for a gluten free option use a one for one blend flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (recipe below to make your own)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15 tablespoons palm shortening (1 scant cup)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the palm shortening until smooth - about 1 minute. Add in the sugars and vanilla and beat on medium-speed until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree and beat until it's just combined; about 45 seconds. Gently fold in the flour mixture with a rubber spatula, stirring only until the flour begins to disappear. Fold in chocolate chips.
- With a medium-sized scoop, scoop dough and form into a ball (they should be big; almost a 1/4 cup), then place on prepared sheet; press dough down to flatten (make sure to leave enough room in between each cookie for inevitable spreading). Continue this process until all the dough has been rolled.
- Place baking sheets in preheated oven and bake for 15-16 minutes, or until golden at the edges and set in the middle. Do not over cook. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire wrack to cool completely.
Pumpkin Spice Recipe
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- 4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp allspice
Mix all together; store in a jar.