It's Peach-O-Rama season again, and this year Metropolitan Market created a recipe that will be perfect for your next summer gathering. Succulent peaches combined with mouth-watering blueberries, a touch of whipped cream, and a fluffy biscuit make this Peach and Blueberry Shortcake dessert light and decadent.
Find the recipe below!
- 2 lb ripe, peaches
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness
- of the fruit
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 6 prepared biscuits, scones or shortcakes
- (see recipe on back of card)
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped or vanilla ice cream
- Place peaches in boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove and transfer to ice water to cool. Peel the skin off, pit and dice peaches into one-inch pieces.
- Combine peaches and blueberries with the sugar and lemon juice.
- To assemble, warm the shortcakes in a toaster or oven if desired. Cut them in half horizontally, lay on a plate, and top with the fruit mixture. If desired, top the biscuits with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2–1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut in small pieces
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a baking sheet. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles very coarse meal. Stir in the milk until a very soft dough forms. Do not overwork the dough!
- Drop the dough in to 6 equal portions onto the prepared baking sheet. Lightly pat each portion into a disk and lightly brush tops of disks with cream.
- Bake biscuits in the center of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Serves 4 to 6.