'Tis the season for Holiday Pears! We partnered with Metropolitan Market to bring you a delectable recipe using their annual Comice Holiday Pears grown in Talent, OR. These sweet and creamy pears garnished with crumbled blue cheese, almonds, and clover honey are perfect as an appetizer or savory dessert.
What Makes the Holiday Pear so Perfect?
Ron Meyer, a third-generation grower of the infamous Holiday Pears, knows that growing the perfect pear takes experience (which is something his family has over 100 years of), and most importantly, the right conditions.
In order to grow the sweetest and creamiest fruit, Meyer uses a combination of artful techniques including fans and added sprinklers to add warmth during Oregon Rogue Valley's cool nights and warm days. After two months of constant conditioning and supervising, the best pears are plucked, ready to eat, and shipped to their destinations.
Recipe: Holiday Pears with Blue Cheese, Nuts, and Honey
- 2 firm but ripe Met Market Holiday Pears, sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped Met Market Almonds or Cashews, Macadamia Nuts or Mixed Nuts
- Slice pears, removing cores if desired. Arrange pears on serving plates. Top with cheese and nuts. Drizzle with honey.
- Serve at once.
Tip: Handle with care!
- Delicate and sweet, the Holiday Pear bruises easily, so it's important to take care of your pear! Once you get your precious pears home, they're best enjoyed within 1-3 days, or until they yield slightly to pressure. An easy way to tell? Check the neck! Gently press the area near the stem, looking for a little softness, signaling they're ready to eat. If you'd like to hold onto the ripeness for a bit longer before eating your pear, just place in the fridge for up to 5 days until you're ready to enjoy.
All food products can be found at Metropolitan Market.