The sun is setting earlier, a few leaves have found their way onto the ground, and there is a slight chill in the evening air that makes you reach for your favorite sweater. Whether you're clinging to those last bittersweet summer sunsets or fully embracing the idea of crisp fall afternoons, we think now is the perfect time for you to reevaluate your current food storage situation. Why? School cafeterias are starting to fire up their ovens and stock their shelves, and our refrigerators are suddenly becoming laden with leftover comfort food. We know that food storage spaces can clutter quickly - especially in the foodservice industry - so it's important to start the season organized. The following storage solutions will help you transform your storage space into a success. Plus, enter a Carlisle giveaway!
- Is your storage space cluttered, overwhelming?
- Do you find yourself spending too much time searching for ingredients and food items?
- Have you ever opened a container only to find it spoiled?
Did you answer yes to any of the above questions above? If so, read on.
Three Guiding Principles
A successful storage space should be defined by the following:
- Organization: Your storage space should be well organized. This means that food items should be grouped by type, stored in similar containers, and be accessible at all times.
- Identification: Food items in your storage space should be easily identifiable. Containers should be marked with the date for freshness, to eliminate cross-contamination, and to help with inventory control. Products should be viewable through the container.
- Transportation: You should be able to transport food items efficiently from pantry to refrigerator to freezer to kitchen, etc. Material, size, and shape should all be considered when choosing containers. Is it portable and easy to hold? Can it be stored in freezing temperatures as well as high-heat?
Most Likely to Succeed in...
Storage containers are the building blocks for any great food storage space. They are safer to use than shipping cartons or the food's original packing because they are more secure, stackable and easier to keep track of.
Organization + Best in Class:
StorPlus Storage Containers are the perfect storage solution for almost any food item. They come in a variety of sizes, materials, and shapes and feature handles and color-coded lids for convenience. Organization is a breeze because they are stackable. Perfect for fridges, freezers, and shelves.
- Use for spices, toppings, leftovers and prep food items
- Clear or white for easy visibility
- Temperature range of -40F to 212F - perfect for shelves, fridge or freezer
- Easy to clean and durable
- Date indicators on the side of the containers help with food quality and inventory control
- Square or round options depending on product type
Identification: Carlisle StorPlus Storage Boxes
- Color-coded lids help with cross-contamination and quick identification while the container is clear for maximum visibility
- Available in a variety of sizes and materials
- Perfect for dairy, ready-to-eat and cooked foods
Transportation: Carlisle StorPlus Food Pans
StorPlus Food Pans can be used for storage to catering to steam tables - making them the perfect storage solution for transportation.
- Available in a variety of materials with a variety of stackable lids
- Resists temperatures from -40 F to 375 F (depending on container type)
- Easily transferable from fridge to steam table.
4 Simple Steps for Storage Success
- Clear out any old food products that you no longer use or that are expired.
- Choose your containers. Will they be shelved? Refrigerated or frozen? Use the guide above to select the best containers for your needs.
- If storing in a refrigerator, the most important thing to consider is temperature. Food that should be cooked at a higher temperature, like poultry, should be at the bottom whereas already-cooked foods and dairy should stay at the top. This prevents contamination if anything drips or leaks.
- Top shelf - any cooked or dry foods and dairy
- Second shelf - fruits and vegetables
- Third shelf - meats
- Fourth shelf - fish and seafood
- Fifth shelf - poultry
- Be sure to write the date on the containers for inventory control and freshness.
Enter for a chance to win a case of 6 StorPlus Containers and purple lids! This set is perfect for isolating allergen-free foods like almond flour, coconut shreds, and wheat-free cereals from other items.
- Like our Facebook page and/or Instagram profile and leave a comment below for a chance to win!
- Ends September 16, 2016. The winner will be emailed and announced in comments below.
- Not open to Bargreen Ellingson employees or friends/family of Bargreen Ellingson employees.